Part-Time Cook/Utility Person
Prepares foods/beverages and maintains food service sanitation. Sanitizes dishware, glassware and silverware; washes and stores pots and pans; cleans, sanitizes and organizes kitchen and prep areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
- .Assists in the preparation of food according to daily menu and/or grill requests.
- Assures compliance with all applicable sanitation and safety laws, regulations and procedures pertaining to the storage, preparation, and serving of foods; utensils, dishware and table service.
- Preps food for catering and next day menu items as needed.
- Properly dates open food containers. Maintains fresh and safe food practices and discards outdated food items. Documents outdated food items as a removal from inventory.
- Maintains good food service sanitation practices; keeps work areas neat and free from hazards.
- Performs cleaning tasks as assigned; tends and loads dishwashing machine as required
- Maintains proper temperature of cold and hot food items.
- Follows standardized recipes for menu items as directed by executive chef.
- Attends departmental staff meetings and scheduled in-service meetings as requested.
- Other tasks as requested or assigned.
- Sorts, scrapes and stacks dishes, silverware and glassware as they are brought to the dish machine.
- Loads dishes into the dish machine and unloads after washing, checking to be sure all items have been thoroughly cleaned in main kitchen and dining room.
- Washes and stores pots, pans and cooking utensils.
- Keeps kitchen floors swept clean and dry. Cleans spills immediately.
- Mops kitchen floors, dining room floors, kitchen and walk-in refrigerator daily.
- Breaks down boxes and disposes of all trash.
- Follows daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedules as directed for the dining area and main kitchen area.
- Attends departmental staff meetings and scheduled in-service meetings as requested
- Assists with beverage center, restocking salad bar and where requested by supervisor.
- Polish all stainless steel refrigerators weekly.
- Follows instructions of supervisor and checks with supervisor when leaving the work areas.
- Clean carts and tray stands weekly.
- Busses dining room as needed.
- Helps with storing stock items.
- Polishes and maintains the kitchen equipment.
- Other tasks as requested or assigned.
- Assists in the preparation of food according to daily menu and/or grill requests.
Materials and Equipment Used
Kitchen equipment and utensils, dishwashing machine; cleaning equipment and cleaning supplies; other materials and equipment necessary to the completion of job responsibilities.
Minimum Qualifications Preferred
Education and Experience
One year experience in food service setting, including utility tasks.
Licenses and Certifications
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of kitchen utility tasks, including sanitation and dishwashing procedures, and the ability to perform these tasks with care and safety.
- Knowledge of customer service and the ability to respond to each customer with excellent service and respect.
- Knowledge of policies, procedures, philosophies, rules and regulations governing the delivery of services to consumers.
- Ability to communicate clearly, and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, other departments and consumers.
- Ability to deal courteously and diplomatically with consumers
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Ability to see clearly generally and with close vision; ability to perceive colors; ability to hear in normal conversation and when using the telephone; ability to see normal printed and written data; ability to speak clearly and be understood; ability to speak English clearly and be understood; ability to handle small objects and utensils; ability to handle and move larger objects such as carts, chairs, tables
How to apply
To apply, please electronically submit your resume along with a letter of interest to:
Human Resources Coordinator
Nestled in the midst of Kentucky’s largest city, historic Spalding University combines a rich history and a commitment to community service as we attract students who desire a high-quality education in a very personalized setting. An engaged faculty serves nearly 2200 students at the bachelors’, masters and doctoral levels, providing quality, real-world learning in liberal and professional studies. Faculty, staff and students are united by the institutional mission:
Spalding University is a diverse community of learners dedicated to meeting the needs of the times in the tradition of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth through quality undergraduate and graduate liberal and professional studies, grounded in spiritual values, with emphasis on service and the promotion of peace and justice.
With a focus on community service and leadership, Spalding offers all students a mission-driven connection to community and comprehensive learning resources while striking a distinctive balance serving the educational needs of both the traditional student and the working adult. In addition, our unique 6-week session delivery format affords students needed scheduling flexibility amidst other life responsibilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Spalding University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. The University complies with all federal, state and local equal employment opportunity laws. It is the University’s policy not to discriminate against any individual or group of individuals and to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, marital status, military status, veteran status or other protected status.
NOTE: All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment drug screening as well as a criminal background check.