Join a growing, respected field of clinical mental health professionals.
Become a compassionate and just licensed professional counselor. Earn your master's degree in clinical mental health counseling from Spalding University.At Spalding, we value learning and the promotion of peace and justice. Our Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling* employs a cohort model that collaborates with students in safe learning spaces. You'll use your knowledge, skill and creativity to develop a clinical mental health specialty that's in line with your professional interests and goals. You'll be ready to meet the behavioral and mental health needs of your clients from a wellness perspective, focusing on personal strengths rather than negative behaviors. *Program pending approval by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Inclusive & supportive
You’ll benefit from working within a small, diverse cohort of students. We welcome students from all backgrounds and differences, including race, ethnicity, gender, identity, ability, and faith. Together, you’ll progress through the program, taking the same classes, and develop a network of friends and future colleagues.
You’ll also benefit from working with our faculty of scholars, practitioners and counselor educators. They’ll mentor and assist you as you develop your specialty and help you connect with other professionals along the way.
Options for various approaches and specialties in clinical mental health counseling may include:
- substance abuse and addictions,
- therapeutic art, music or writing,
- or another area of interest to you.
Excellent clinical training
Through teaching, training and modeling observed in the classroom and in the field, you’ll discover how to serve the individual mental health needs of diverse clients and communities. Our courses are offered face to face with some hybrid learning methods.
- Earn your master’s in two years (60 credit hours).
- Gain knowledge of preventive strategies that promote mental health.
- Benefit from a program of study that is fully-aligned with the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP) standards.
- Engage in field experiences (practicum and internships) that enhance your clinical education, including opportunities at our on-campus clinic, Center for Behavioral Health.
- Build your resume with opportunities for research and publication.
- Be prepared to sit for the National Counselor Exam (NCE) and become a licensed professional clinical counselor.
Join a growing profession
Whether you are a recent college graduate or a professional looking to make a career change, you are looking at a profession that’s actively growing. In fact, the demand for mental health counselors projected to grow 22 percent from 2018 to 2028 (US Bureau of Labor Statistics).
In addition to an affordable tuition rate, we also offer a 10% tuition discount to alumni of Spalding University.
How to Apply
You’ll apply to our Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) by filling out an online application to our College of Education.
We are currently accepting applications for our Fall 2020 cohort. Our application deadline is June 1.
Please review our CMHC admission requirements before you begin the application process.
Tell us about yourself and we’ll be in touch with more information.
Clinical Mental Health
Call (502) 873-4262