At commencement on Saturday, Spalding President Tori Murden McClure ended the program with a closing charge to the graduates in the class of 2018. Her remarks included a top 10 list of maxims and words of wisdom. Here, again, is President McClure’s top 10:
1. If the carrot is big enough, you can use it as a stick.
2. Road blocks only block the road. … They do not block the grass, the path, the water or the way less traveled. … Road blocks just block the road.
3. Silence is golden, and if silence should fail you remember that duct tape is silver.
4. It’s never too late to have a happy childhood. … I have had several. … I have many more planned. Or the corollary, I may grow old, but I will never be old enough to know better.
5. Not every problem you face can be solved, but no problem can be solved if not faced.
6. Learn from the mistakes of others. You cannot live long enough to make them all yourselves..
7. Do not burn bridges. Just loosen the bolts a little each day.
8. If you have to keep something that you are doing a secret, then perhaps you should not be doing it.
9. This is an important one for university presidents: Don’t take yourself too serious. No one else does.
10. Do not believe everything you think, or as Socrates said, all I know is that I know nothing.